Safety Direct's Whip checks are designed as safety restraints to prevent injury to operators and minimize damage to equipment if a hose connection accidentally disconnects. They can be attached hose to hose or between a hose and secure anchor point.
Safety chains, or equivalent means, shall be provided for each hose connection to prevent the line from thrashing around in case the coupling becomes disconnected.
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety:
Make sure that hose connections fit properly and are equipped with a mechanical means of securing the connection (e.g., chain, wire, or positive locking device).
WCB 12.15 Restraining devices:
Effective means of restraint must be used
(a) on a connection of a hose or a pipe if inadvertent disconnection could be dangerous to a worker,
(b) if unplanned movement of an object or component could endanger a worker, or
(c) to secure an object from falling and endangering a worker.
• pneumatic, hydraulic, concrete and water hoses
• strong, flexible nylon webbing
• superior corrosion resistance over metal restraints
• rubber grommets securely choke eyes around hose
• must be installed in the extended position (zero slack)
• label details working pressures and safety instructions